51 replies to this topic

#1 spirilis

spirilis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 143 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

Initial concept, trying to perfect the silkscreen documentation before sending it out...

Attached File  bblp_top.png   122.65KB   32 downloads

Attached File  bblp_bottom.png   91.76KB   22 downloads

Breaks out a 40-pin LaunchPad XL pinout to a select variety of GPIO pins on the BeagleBone's Cape connector so you can play with TI and 43oh community BoosterPacks from the BeagleBone's Node.JS/Bonescript language, or any other language you like to use for that matter.

Supports:

UART4 for UART

SPI0 pins for SPI

I2C1 for I2C (I2C2 is the cape EEPROM FYI)

-No EEPROM is included on this since the user is expected to mess with it using Bonescript or load their own custom cape devicetrees for whatever boosterpacks they're playing with.

Pinout avoids using any of the eMMC, HDMI or I2S pins.  User LEDs are left untouched too so they do not interfere with boosterpack I/O.

Analog 1.8V Vadc is supplied as the bottom pad on the left-side inner header (under the AIN ports).  The GND pin below 5V is connected to AGND to support the AIN functionality.

One of the I2C pins happens to also share one of SPI0's pins so it is not jumpered, but the other needs to be switched by a jumper.  From what I gather, SPI0 defaults to D0 = MISO, D1 = MOSI but that can be reconfigured, probably needing a kernel parameter or whatnot.  This is sweet since it allows you to support USI-pinout boosterpacks with only software changes required (to flip the SPI functions around).

• bluehash likes this

#2 spirilis

spirilis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 143 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

Touched up & added some images:

Attached File  bblp_top.png   137.04KB   14 downloads

( http://spirilis.net/...bblpv10_top.png )

Attached File  bblp_bottom.png   103.64KB   15 downloads

( http://spirilis.net/...pv10_bottom.png )

I am going to print this out at home and see how well the footprint lines up with the BeagleBone, I used some specs from the SRM I think to produce that in DipTrace but the proof's in the pudding as they say.  If it lines up, I'll order 10 from Elecrow soon.  Would like to use black soldermask and I think I might for this trial run... would look nice.  Also an opportunity to see if they're still messing up the black soldermask.

The 43oh logo is in the top soldermask layer, so it'll appear shiny silver (HASL) against the black background.  I bet it would look gorgeous with OSHpark too but it's $36.70 for a set of 3 boards... lol

• bluehash and oPossum like this

#3 spirilis

spirilis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 143 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:34 AM

I'd say that footprint did me right, lines up perfectly including the gap for the Ethernet jack.  The top left corner stops abruptly to allow viewing of the user LEDs as it turns out.

Submitting an order of 10 shortly.

edit: done, $33.04 for a set of 10.

#4 bluehash

bluehash

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:59 AM

This should be good!

#5 spirilis

spirilis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 143 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

Making good on the "open source" part of the design... haha ;)

DipTrace design files:

Attached File  BeagleBone_LaunchPad_diptrace_designfiles.zip   98.49KB   18 downloads

(.dch and .dip files included)

OSHpark Gerbers: Attached File  OSH_BeagleBone_LaunchPad_draft1_0.zip   112.11KB   9 downloads

Elecrow/Seeed/ITead Gerbers: Attached File  Elecrow_BeagleBone_LaunchPad_draft1_0_10x10.zip   111.7KB   7 downloads

Requires 10cm x 10cm PCB service.

PDF schematic: Attached File  DipTrace Schematic - BeagleBone_LaunchPad.pdf   79.34KB   29 downloads

External links to these from my webhost:

( http://spirilis.net/...designfiles.zip )

( http://spirilis.net/...e_LaunchPad.pdf )

( http://spirilis.net/...ad_draft1_0.zip )

( http://spirilis.net/...ft1_0_10x10.zip )

• bluehash likes this

#6 bluehash

bluehash

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

Would be nice if it is in the top post after you finalize it.

#7 yyrkoon

yyrkoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:43 AM

@spirilis what exactly would this be for ? I am having trouble visualizing a use case for this. This doesnt mean its useless, just means that so far I am clueless lol.

#8 spirilis

spirilis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 143 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:14 AM

@spirilis what exactly would this be for ? I am having trouble visualizing a use case for this. This doesnt mean its useless, just means that so far I am clueless lol.

Quickly prototype hardware with boosterpacks you already have.  I personally see the boosterpack ecosystem as a nice "prototype" platform .... Heck if one were so inclined, they could run the solder reflow system from their beaglebone.

Need to try a sensor or 2?  Could breadboard it, but if you already have a boosterpack for it... hell why not use that!  And when you decide the application is probably best done with an MCU instead, just move it over to your MSP430 LaunchPad.

Also: Lower-cost replacement for capes -- Capes are big, requiring at least 10cm x 10cm PCB service as I've found.  BoosterPacks can fit into the cheaper 5cm x 5cm footprint.  (And fit other LaunchPads too...)

• yyrkoon likes this

#9 yyrkoon

yyrkoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:39 AM

Ah ok, that does sound very useful

#10 spirilis

spirilis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 143 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

I got 'em!

Attached File  dsc_5010.sm.jpg   360.87KB   20 downloads

I must say, for a chinese PCB fabber Elecrow is freaking fast.

• bluehash, yyrkoon and Rickta59 like this

#11 bluehash

bluehash

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

They look sweet! I can vouch for Elecrow. Cool guys.

#12 spirilis

spirilis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 143 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

Rough fitment looks good, will see how it is once I solder the headers on (lol need to make another big Mouser order too; running low on pin headers and I also received my F5172 LP boards today, another reason to buy more stuffz)

#13 yyrkoon

yyrkoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

Heh how do you get away with out the verbal bashing from your significant other ? lol yeah very nice man, I'd like to see one / many in action too !

#14 cubeberg

cubeberg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

I'd be interested in one of these BTW if they're not already spoken for - great way for someone like me with a bunch of BP's to get started on the BB.

#15 spirilis

spirilis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 143 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

Heh how do you get away with out the verbal bashing from your significant other ? lol yeah very nice man, I'd like to see one / many in action too !

I control the budget and just give her a fixed agreed amount every month so she doesn't care ;-)

No-shared bank account FTW!  It also helps that I have been getting paid back for some of these things (via 43oh store sales/tindie/etc) anyhow...

#16 spirilis

spirilis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 143 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

Got one soldered up yesterday, haven't tested it with any boosterpack hardware yet but I'll see about that this week.

Also showcasing another project which I'll start another thread about soon.  Don't have any more of them left but have a big OSHpark order on the way for that one...

First, BBB LaunchPad cape:

Attached File  dsc_5011.sm.jpg   418.16KB   12 downloads

( http://spirilis.net/...oldered_top.jpg )

Attached File  dsc_5012.sm.jpg   379.85KB   12 downloads

( http://spirilis.net/...ered_bottom.jpg )

Attached File  dsc_5013.sm.jpg   339.47KB   12 downloads

Attached File  dsc_5014.sm.jpg   389.98KB   14 downloads

Attached File  dsc_5016.sm.jpg   439.59KB   12 downloads

Attached File  dsc_5018.sm.jpg   437.35KB   13 downloads

( http://spirilis.net/...d_nrf24bpak.jpg )

Second, my solution to the FTDI problem.  A tiny FT230X board that friction-fits the connector and has its USB port angled slightly to allow the USB mini-B cable to slide right between the DC jack & RJ45:

Attached File  dsc_5019.sm2.jpg   309.49KB   13 downloads

Attached File  dsc_5020.sm.jpg   428.03KB   11 downloads

You'll see one of the BBB LP pics above has this FTDI board installed with the cape overtop, thus allowing you access to the FTDI ttyO0 debug serial port even with a cape installed, thus allowing you to actually investigate issues with your kernel when you install some random cape that screws everything up :-)

This FTDI board does not supply power to the BBB btw, so you still need a power source or another USB cable to give it power.  I have an order of USB mini-B cables coming from an aliexpress vendor and I intend to sell the boards with a USB cable for convenience.

#17 spirilis

spirilis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 143 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

Hmm, another thought I had: For future cape designs I should look into putting a drill hole in the cape right over the S2 button so the user can easily go into uSD card boot mode.  You can usually reach in with a small screwdriver to hit the button from the side, but a hole overtop might be nicer (or maybe you could fit a narrow standoff in there for a better pushbutton...)

Also, this cape *should* be backwards compatible with the BBW.  It avoids using any of the reserved/already-used pins of the BBB which should make it compatible with the BBW too.

• bluehash likes this

#18 bluehash

bluehash

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

You can usually reach in with a small screwdriver to hit the button from the side, but a hole overtop might be nicer (or maybe you could fit a narrow standoff in there for a better pushbutton...

Good thinking spirilis. Fat fingers would find it hard to reach that button.

#19 spirilis

spirilis

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 143 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

Been a lazy bum getting these over to bluehash since I'd prefer to send him my F5172 launchpads too in one package... should be soon.  The latter are all built out, just need to test/upload demo firmware & cut some female headers & 32.768KHz XTALs and tape/package them up.

#20 cubeberg

cubeberg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

Well, I'm in for the BBB once you get them out :)  No rush though - doubt I'll have time right away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users